Incident at GREATER MONCTON ROMEO LEBLANC INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
2001-05-18: TSB Update May 18, 2001. A01A0050: C-GMFC, a PA44 had departed Moncton on a training flight with an instructor and student pilot on board. Shortly after departure, both occupants noticed an unusual odor which dissipated after approximately 30 seconds. The instructor and student than began to feel unusual physical sensations at which time the instructor declared an emergency, opened the storm window and shut off the combustion heater (Janitrol). Within a short period of time, both occupants began to feel better; the aircraft landed at 1100 ADT without further incident. Maintenance inspection revealed a three inch crack in the combustion section of the heater. During the incident, the carbon monoxide detector in the aircraft indicated normal.
2001-05-15: CGMFC PA44 ON A LOCAL IFR TRAINING FLIGHT. DECLARED EMERGENCY DUE TO ODOR IN COCKPIT RESULTING IN VARYING DEGREES OF CREW INCAPACITATION. ABOUT 4 MILES FINAL AIRCRAFT ADVISED PROBLEM RESOLVED. LANDED SAFELY AT 1400. TSB CASE CLOSED.
2001-05-16: Update May 16, 2001. Company advises that a Maintenance check found a 3 inch crack in the exhaust system.
|Occurred At||- 13:53|
|Day or Night?|
|TSB Occurrence Number|
|TSB Class of Investigation|
Aircraft Details (1 aircraft)
|Canadian Registration||| Flightaware (Registration) | Flightaware (Tracking) | AvHerald|
|Country of Registration|
|Phase of Flight|