February 2, 2004


Westjet flight WJA39 was vectored to final Victoria runway 09 at 4000 but received a GPWS alert and climbed to 5000. MVRA 3500. Pilot speculated had he slowed to 200kts or less to intercept he would not have gotten the warning.
Update from ANS&A: No further action required.

January 23, 2004


Westjet flight WJA39, a Boeing 737-200 received a GPWS warning while on a routine approach into Victoria. No operational impact.
Update from ANS&A: No further action required.

December 18, 2003


The Westjet Boeing 737-200 aircraft, registration C-FIWJ, operating as WJA39, was arriving at Victoria from Prince George on the ILS approach to runway 27 when the crew received a TCAS RA to climb, followed by ""monitor vertical speed."" The tower advised of traffic in the circuit, downwind, left hand. The crew followed the RA initially, visually aquired the traffic and when the RA ceased, continued the approach and landed without further event.
ANS&A: No further action required.

October 27, 2003

Incident at PRINCE GEORGE BC (CYXS) (FOD (foreign object debris))

On arrival to Prince George, Westjet flight WJA39 reported FOD on the north end of Runway 33. Firehall dispatched and found a 6 inch square piece of sheet metal which he confirmed was off a vehicle. Westjet flight, WJA37 was delayed approx. 10 minutes departing for YVR.

February 20, 2001


WJA39 aborted takeoff Runway 27 because an engine gauge indicator light came on. The aircraft returned to the apron.

October 29, 2000

Incident at TRENA intersection

Continental Air Lines flight COA9 experienced an electrical problem enroute from Newark International to New Tokya International and elected to divert via Smithers (YYD) Victoria (YYJ) to Seattle (KSEA). COA9 started dumping fuel at FL350 in the vicinity of TRENA intersection without ATC authorization or knowledge. When advised of the fuel dump operation, controller immediately instructed pilot to cease fuel dump. COA9 stopped fuel dump vicinity varsity intersection. Impact on A/C: DLH492, WJA39-B737, PCO346, CGGZB-PA34 all vectored away or held from entering contaminated airspace. ACA003-A340 departure from CYVR delayed approx. 10min. OPI: Enforcement

September 25, 2000

Incident at Prince George, BC

WJA39 while departing Calgary (YYC) had blown a tire. The aircraft landed safely in Prince George at 10:07 pdt. OPI:

April 3, 2000

Incident at Northwest of Quesnel, BC

VFR aircraft in instrument meteorological conditions (IMC). Pilot called Williams Lake FSS in IMC conditions in cloud @ 7,300' climbing, heading 150 degrees. FSS confered with ACC and put on code 1201. Aircraft identified northwest of Quesnel (YQZ) and was switched to ACC frequency. Pilot proceded south to VFR conditions, descended & landed at Quesnel. WJA39 was delayed briefly in Prince George (YXS) for flight to YVR until N2502J's position/altitude was established. Pilot advised he had an expired IFR rating. OPI: Enforcement

May 31, 1999

Incident at Enroute to Prince George

The aircraft was cleared to descend to 7000 feet in a 7000 foot MVA. In the descent the aircraft received a GPWS a "Ground Proximity Warning System" indication and climbed to 9000 feet. No conflict resulted from the climb.

April 6, 1999

Incident at about 100NM northwest of Thunder Bay

The aircraft was on an IFR flight from Thunder Bay Airport (CYQT) to Calgary International Airport (CYYC). The aircraft was approximately 100NM northwest of Thunder Bay when the flight crew reported a minor electrical problem and advised that they were returning to Thunder Bay. ERS were advised. The aircraft landed safely at 1507Z. Ops. impact -- none. 54 S.O.B. O.P.I.: PAH Supplemental information from T.S.B. Initial Notification (#A99C0063): The Westjet Airline Boeing 737, C-GGWJ, was on a scheduled flight from Thunder Bay to Calgary, AB. The aircraft had departed and was approximately 100NM northwest of Thunder Bay when the crew advised that the flight was returning due to a minor electrical problem. The aircraft landed safely at 1507Z. The crew had experienced an arcing smell in the vicinity of the Captain's windshield and they had isolated the problem by pulling the windshield de-ice circuit breaker. Company maintenance personnel inspected the system and found that condensation moisture had resulted in arcing of electrical contacts for the Captain's direct-view windscreen. The de-ice elements for the windshield showed no damage. The windshield de-ice system functioned normally once the electrical connectors were dried, cleaned and re-installed. The aircraft was returned to service without further difficulty. 54 S.O.B. -- five (5) crew; 49 passengers.