January 31, 2019

Incident at ST. JOHN'S INTL NL (CYYT)

TSB Report #A19A0007: C-GIKN, a Sikorsky S-92 helicopter operated by Cougar Helicopters was conducting flight CGR62 on a local SAR training trip 20nm south of St John’s International Airport (CYYT), NL. After lowering rescue personnel onto a vessel during night operations, the helicopter moved to the rest position away from the vessel to prepare for departure. The hoist cable was fully retracted and stowed at this point. On departure, the hoist operator, as well as the rescue personnel on the vessel, saw an object falling from the helicopter into the ocean. It was discovered that the hook was missing from the inboard hoist. Upon inspection of the hoist after landing, it was determined that the cable shear had unintentionally been activated. The inbound hoist was changed out. The Hoist Control panel was tested with no fault found and remained on the aircraft. Post installation checks were completed and the aircraft was returned to service.

September 23, 2018

Incident at ST. JOHN'S INTL NL (CYYT)

A Provincial Aerospace Beech B200 (C-FRLM/SPR811) from St. Johns Intl, NL (CYYT) to Goose Bay, NL (CYYR) was conducting a high power run-up prior to departure in position on Runway 29. A Cougar Helicopters Inc. Sikorsky S-92A (C-GIKN/CHI62) from St. Johns Intl, NL (CYYT) to St. Johns Intl, NL (CYYT) taxied out on to Runway 34 holding short of Runway 29 for a VFR departure off Runway 29. The tower asked C-FRLM how much longer they would require in position on Runway 29 prior to being ready for departure. C-FRLM indicated that they were almost ready, and at that point the tower controller received the IFR release validation and waited for C-FRLM to indicate they were ready. After a few moments C-FRLM began the takeoff roll without receiving a clearance. Once airborne the tower instructed C-FRLM to switch to Gander Center frequency.

April 17, 2016

Incident at ST. JOHN'S INTL NL (CYYT)

TSB#A16A0040: C-GIKN, a Cougar Helicopters Inc. Sikorsky S-92 helicopter, was taxied at St. John?s airport to reposition the helicopter from one to another company hangar. While turning to park the helicopter, its main rotor blade tips made contact with the hangar building. The helicopter sustained minor damage to the main rotor blade tips from the initial contact. Secondary minor damage to a tail rotor and the fuselage occurred when material that separated in the initial contact struck the tail rotor and other parts of the helicopter. The damaged components were removed from service and other components were inspected, overhauled or replaced in accordance with the manufacturer unscheduled inspection procedure. The operator is conducting a safety investigation into the occurrence.

January 31, 2016

Incident at ST. JOHN'S INTL NL (CYYT) (Incursion - runway - vehicle)

T95+2 (vehicles) were on Runway 34 and was restricted to hold short of Runways 29 and 20. A Cougar Helicopters Sikorsky S-92A (C-GIKN / CHI21) was in position on Runway 20 abeam hangar 2 doing hover check, not cleared for take off. T95 +2 were observed crossing hold short line for Runway 20 and was instructed again to hold short Runway 20 once across the intersection. No impact on operations.

July 7, 2015

Incident at 100NM W ST.JOHN INTL

TSB#A15A0065: The Cougar Helicopters Sikorsky S-92A (C-GIKN) was conducting a night vision goggle search and rescue training when the First Officer (FO) became ill. The FO left the cockpit and remained in the cabin as the helicopter returned to St. John's, while being attended to by the 2 rescue specialists on the training mission. One of the specialists assisted the Captain with the landing checklist and the helicopter landed safely. The FO was taken to the hospital by the rescue specialist.

August 30, 2014

Incident at ST. JOHN'S INTL NL (CYYT)

A PAL Aerospace Beech 200 (C-GTJZ/ SPR04) on a local flight from St John's, NL (CYYT), on 7 distance measuring equipment (DME) final to Runway 29, was sequenced #2 for Runway 29 to follow a Cougar Helicopters Sikorsky S-92A (C-GIKN/ CHI61) on a local flight from St John's, NL (CYYT) on the right hand downwind. When SPR04 crossed the shoreline final (3 DME) for Runway 29, SPR04 was advised to continue the approach & be prepared for a possible pull-up due to landing traffic (CHI61) on short final to Runway 29. SPR04 was instructed to pull-up & go around at 1 DME final to Runway 29 due to landed traffic (CHI61) still on Runway 29. SPR04 carried out the missed approach and joined left hand downwind to Runway 34 and landed at 1639Z.

September 24, 2013

Incident at ST. JOHN'S INTL NL (CYYT)

A Cougar Helicopters Inc. Sikorsky S-92A (C-GIKN / CH161) aborted take off from St. John's, NL runway 29 due to an indication/warning. No assistance required, aircraft taxied to ramp.

July 13, 2013

Incident at ST. JOHN'S INTL NL (CYYT)

A Jazz Bombardier CL-600-2B19 (C-GKEM / JZA8828) inbound to St. John's, NL (CYYT) from Vancouver, BC (CYVR) was approximately 10 nautical miles final for CYYT runway 11 at 2327Z. The tower controller noticed a target on radar 6 nautical miles west at 500 feet (unverified) converging with JZA8828. The target was a Cougar Helicopters Inc. Sikorsky S-92A (C-GIKN / CHI61) Search and Rescue (SAR) trainer that was operating in the control zone without an ATC clearance and was not communicating with the tower.

August 11, 2012

Incident at Enroute from Hibernia to St. John's (CYYT)

TSB A12A0081: The Cougar Helicopters S-92A helicopter (C-GIKN) was returning from a Hibernia platform to St. John's (CYYT). About 90 miles from St. John's, at 2000 feet above sea level, the crew received a #2 engine fire warning and audible alert. The warning then ceased and the crew initiated a turn to the right to see if there was any trailing smoke. During the turn, the warning recurred and went out a short time later. The crew did not notice any problems and no secondary indications were noted. The indication occurred once again while continuing to St. John's. The aircraft landed without incident at St. John's. Company maintenance personnel replaced the #2 engine outboard flame detector and harness assembly. The system was checked serviceable and the aircraft was returned to service.

November 2, 2002

Incident at THUNDER BAY ON (CYQT) (Conflict - potential, Conflict - loss of separation, ATS operating irregularity)

The Primac Air Courier Cessna 208 aircraft (C-GIKN) was on an IFR flight from Sault Ste. Marie Airport (CYAM) to Thunder Bay Airport (CYQT). The Ministry of the Solicitor General Pilatus PC-12 aircraft (C-FOPD) was departing on an IFR flight from Thunder Bay Airport (CYQT) to Lake Simcoe Regional Airport (CNB9). C-GIKN was inbound and the pilot received a clearance to descend to 4,400 feet, estimated to arrive at 1155Z. The flight crew of C-FOPD were cleared to depart and initially maintain 3,400 feet. Once C-FOPD was radar identified with sufficient radar separation (five (5) miles), the aircraft was cleared to maintain FL250. However, radar separation began to deteriorate at 11:51:48Z to 3.52 miles and was re-established to the required separation standard of five (5) miles at 11:53:44Z. Ops. impact -- unknown. The 1100Z weather at Thunder Bay Airport was: ceiling broken at 2,600 feet AGL with visibility 15 SM in light snow. The 1200Z weather observation at Thunder Bay Airport was: few clouds at 2,600 feet; visibility of 15 SM.
Supplemental information from T.S.B. Initial Notification (#A02C0239): The PRIMAC AIR Cessna Caravan C-GIKN was inbound to Thunder Bay (estimating at 0655 EST) from Sault Ste. Marie and was cleared to descend to 4,400 feet. The ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE Pilatus PC-12 C-FOPD departed Thunder Bay at 0651 EST for Lake Simcoe Regional Airport. On initial contact (0651 EST) with air traffic control, C-FOPD was cleared to maintain 3,400 feet. C-FOPD was subsequently radar identified and, as the required separation (between C-FOPD and C-GIKN) of 5 NM existed, C-FOPD was further cleared to maintain FL250. During the climb, separation between the two aircraft decreased to 3.4 nautical miles. It was reported that the En-route Controller momentarily confused the terminal separation requirement of 3 NM with the en-route requirement of 5 NM.

November 8, 2001


Follow-up information received from Maintenance & Manufacturing [2001/11/26]: A Civil Aviation Safety Inspector investigated this occurrence and advised that the aircraft experienced momentary smoke and flame when the engine was selected from High Speed to Low Speed. A precautionary engine shutdown was completed. There was no fire damage evident inside the engine cowls. Smoke residue was visible externally only. The engine cowls were cleaned, the EPA can drained, the engine ground run and a leak check carried out. No engine leaks or defects were noted. It is suspected that the condition lever was possibly moved past low idle, causing a momentary engine flame-out which then re-ignited with raw fuel in the exhaust, causing the brief appearance of smoke and flame. The aircraft was released for service and no further problems have been encountered.
When the aircraft (C-GIKN) was exiting the runway at Toronto (LBPIA) (CYYZ), the pilot informed the ground controller that he had an engine fire. Airport Fire Fighting responded.
Supplemental information from T.S.B. Initial Notification (#A01O0313): The Primac Air Cessna 208B Caravan aircraft was conducting a non-revenue repositioning flight to Toronto (LBPIA). After landing and while taxiing the aircraft, the pilot informed the Ground Controller that he had an engine fire and AFF was dispatched. It was determined that there was no fire. The pilot inadvertently selected the mixture control to the cut-off position and re-selected it back to low idle. The raw fuel ignited and the pilot misinterpreted this flame as an engine fire. Maintenance inspected the engine and found no damage.