January 30, 2014

Incident at YELLOWKNIFE NT (CYZF) (Incursion - runway - vehicle)

UPDATE: aircraft operator changed to Summit Air (17940) as of May 3, 2013 (date of trade name change).
Blower 119 operating with another vehicle as Grader 162 + 1 entered runway protected area runway 10/28 without authorization after a Summit Air de Havilland DHC-2 MK. III (C-FOEV/ SU1032) from Yellowknife, NT (CYZF) received takeoff clearance runway 28. SU1032 subsequently told to hold position. Vehicles exited all runways and SU1032 was again cleared for takeoff. Impact on operations: SU1032 departure delayed approximately 1 minute.

October 9, 2012


C-FOEV, a DHC-2T operated by Arctic Sunwest Charters, landed on Runway 28 at Yellowknife and the pilot reported being only able to turn left. He elected to do a few tight turns on the runway to correct the gear and vacated the runway successfully at 2134z.

May 19, 2012

Incident at YELLOWKNIFE NT (CYZF) (Aerodrome, runway or taxiway shutdown)

UPDATE Maintenance and Manufacturing reported that the aircraft was on amphibious floats and was able to land on the grass beside the runway with the wheels up. Company maintenance inspected the aircraft and found a hydraulic leak caused by a crack in the flare end of the line, which caused the depletion of the hydraulic system. The line was repaired, the hydraulic system replenished, the landing gear lowered, and the aircraft towed back to the hangar for further investigation. During the landing some damage was incurred on the bottom of the L/H float. Inspection of the hydraulic system showed no further faults, the landing gear operated normally, and the damage to the L/H float bottom was repaired. The aircraft was returned to service and there have been no further incidents.
The pilot of C-FOEV reported he was unable to extend the landing gear and advised he would land on the infield abeam Runway 10 at Yellowknife. ARFF was on standby as the aircraft landed safely at 0129z. Runway 10/28 was unavailable until 0227z when the aircraft was removed from the area

June 13, 2010


The pilot of C-FOEV, an Arctic Sunwest DHC-2 Beaver, was cleared to land on Runway 27 at Yellowknife and without requesting or advising Tower, the pilot landed on the infield.

September 28, 2009


C-FOEV, an Arctic Sunwest DHC-2T, was departing Yellowknife when the pilot rejected the takeoff due to stuck brakes. One incoming flight was slightly delayed during the incident.
UPDATE Maintenance and Manufacturing reported that this aircraft was operating on amphibious floats when the takeoff was rejected due to the R/H brake sticking. Upon inspection it was found that the R/H brake linings had worn to a point that caused binding of the pucks between the brake housing and disk. The torque plate, carrier plate and brake housing were also found damaged. As this brake assembly was installed July 2009 and only had 190 hours time (airframe time) on it; an SDR (#20090930004) has been raised. The R/H brake assembly was replaced and the aircraft returned to service.

December 2, 2006

Incident at CFY8

An active ELT was heard by the SARSAT system and by numerous overflying aircraft in the Northwest Territory. An investigation located the source as C-FOEV, an Arctic Sunwest DHC-2T, parked at Colomac, NT. This was the second incident involving this aircraft in a week, the previous being on November 30 at Yellowknife. This SAR action resulted in RCC Trenton spending 2 hours; Yellowknife FSS 1.5 hours; Edmonton ACC 1.5 hours and the RCMP Yellowknife emergency SAR crew on standby for 1.5 hours.

November 30, 2006


Yellowknife FSS heard an ELT activation at the airport and a search located the source as C-FOEV, a DHC-2 Turbo Beaver parked in a hangar. The ELT was then turned off.

May 31, 2005


The pilot of C-FOEV, a DHC-2 Turbo Beaver, proceeded onto the runway at Kugluktuk airport prior to receiving the traffic advisory and with a second aircraft on final approach. The pilot of C-FOEV exited the runway.

August 3, 2004

Incident at RANKIN INLET NU (CYRT) (Aerodrome, runway or taxiway shutdown)

C-FZWP, a Beech King Air, was taxiing for departure at Rankin Inlet when the crew advised they had had an engine problem while taxiing on Runway 13. The aircraft had to be towed back to the apron. C-FOEV, an arriving DHC-2, was delayed 9 minutes. TSB reported that the crew noted an oil leak on the left engine (P & W PT6-42), secured the engine and returned to the ramp. Maintenance found a pinched O-ring on a torque transmitter which had been changed prior to the flight.
UPDATE Maintenance and Manufacturing reported that prior to the oil leak on 2004/08/03, this a/c had a torque limiter snag on one engine. During trouble shooting, torque limiters were swapped side to side. Once the problem was identified and rectified, the limiters were swapped back to their original positions and an o-ring was pinched on re-installation on the LH engine. The flight crew noticed the oil leak on taxi out for departure in Rankin Inlet. The engine was secured and nil damage incurred. The Director of Maintenance reminded the AME of the importance on carrying out engine ground run-ups to verify their condition /security/operation.

August 14, 2003

Incident at YELLOWKNIFE NT (CYZF) (Aerodrome, runway or taxiway shutdown)

C-FOEV, a DHC-2T, landed on Runway 27 at Yellowknife and during the backtrack, the pilot advised that the a/c had a flat tire and required a tow. Then aircraft was cleared off and the runway was serviceable at 0259z. One IFR departure was required to use other available runway.

August 24, 2001

Accident at YELLOWKNIFE NT (Water) (CEN9)

UPDATE Maintenance and Manufacturing reported that the company was contacted and the aircraft inspected. Unconfirmed reports by witnesses say that the aircraft left the water on its second takeoff attempt. The aircraft was said to have stalled and fallen back onto the water in a nose up attitude, left float heel making first contact with the water (which is consistent with observed damage). The aircraft and float struts were damaged.
Yellowknife Coast Guard reported that C-FOEV, a DHC-2 Turbo Beaver, was disabled on East Bay at Yellowknife, one pontoon sinking. The passengers had been removed by boat and the Coast Guard was towing the aircraft to shore.