June 4, 2020

Incident at In the vicinity of: YELLOWKNIFE NT (CYZF)

An Air Tindi Ltd. Beech 200 (C-FCGU/TIN502) from Yellowknife, NT (CYZF) to Edmonton, AB (CYEG) cancelled its IFR and requested to enter a hold to address an equipment issue, no assistance required. At 1827Z, TIN502 advised they had a gear issue and requested the Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) unit to be on standby. A First Air Aerospatiale ATR 42-300 (FAB5850) from Kugluktuk, NU (CYCO) to Yellowknife, NT (CYZF) was switched to Runway 34 to accommodate. At 1833Z, TIN502 landed safely, no other issues.
UPDATE TSB Report #A20W0037: The Air Tindi Beech King Air 200, C-FCGU, was operating as flight TIN502 from Yellowknife, NT (CYZF) to Edmonton, AB (CYEG). While en route, the flight crew noticed the landing gear in-transit light was illuminated. While assessing the situation, the flight crew observed the main landing gear doors open, followed by the landing gear starting to lower. The flight crew reduced airspeed and selected landing gear down as a precaution to prevent the loss of hydraulic pressure. The landing gear was confirmed down and locked. The flight crew declared an emergency and returned to CYZF. The aircraft landed without further incident. Company maintenance will report findings to TSB.
UPDATE from Airworthiness: A Civil Aviation Safety Inspector (CASI) looked into this occurrence. Enroute between Yellowknife, NT, and Edmonton, AB, the co-pilot of C-FCGU noticed that the landing gear handle in-transit light had come on. After bringing it to the Captains attention, the flight crew monitored the situation and, over the next 5-10 minutes, the main gear doors gradually came open and the gear began to lower. After discussing the situation, they made the decision to return to Yellowknife. The Captain made the decision to lower the gear while they still had hydraulic pressure. The gear appeared to lower correctly and they continued back to Yellowknife. The aircraft landed without any further incident. Company maintenance jacked-up and inspected the aircraft, replacing the pressure switch, which controls power to the hydraulic motor. They completed multiple landing gear swings with no issues, a satisfactory test flight was completed, and the aircraft was returned to service.

June 5, 2020

Incident at NORMAN WELLS NT (CYVQ) (Bird presence, Incursion - runway - animal)

An Air Tindi Beech 200 (C-FCGU/TIN502) from Yellowknife, NT (CYZF) to Norman Wells, NT (CYVQ) aborted landing to avoid geese on Runway 10/28. Aircraft arrived safely on its second approach. No strike or potential strike reported. No further impact to operations.

August 22, 2019


At 2310Z, an Air Tindi Beech 200 (C-FCGU/TIN502) departing Runway 28 for a flight from Yellowknife, NT (CYZF) to Hay River/Merlyn Carter, NT (CYHY) rejected takeoff and taxied back to the hangar. No assistance required. No impact to operations.
UPDATE from Aircraft Maintenance & Manufacturing: A Civil Aviation Safety Inspector (CASI) looked into this occurrence. During the takeoff roll of TIN502 at Yellowknife, NT (CYZF), the right hand (R/H) engine fire indication came on. The flight crew reduced engine power and the fire light went out and there was no visual indication of a fire. The takeoff was aborted and the flight crew returned the aircraft to the main base to report the incident to maintenance. Company maintenance opened the R/H engine cowl and inspected the engine case and components with no faults found. The fire detectors, associated wiring, and connectors were inspected. The ground terminals were found to be in poor condition and were replaced. No other faults were found. The cowlings were reinstalled and max power runs were completed with no faults found. The optical fire detection system was function tested and found serviceable. A test flight was conducted and all systems operated normally and the aircraft was returned to service. There have been no further reported incidents.

October 3, 2017

Incident at HAY RIVER / MERLYN CARTER AIRPORT NT (CYHY) (Flight plan ? information)

An Air Tindi Beech 200 (C-FCGU/DA502) on a flight from Fort Simpson, NT (CYFS) to Hay River/Merlyn Carter, NT (CYHY) called to change an IFR flight plan (FP) from IFR to VFR. Alerting was lost when the new FP was misfiled.

August 26, 2017

Incident at YELLOWKNIFE NT (CYZF) (Communication error)

A truck (ST25) painting on THLD10 did not respond to multiple calls to exit runway. Flashed runway lights, no response. An Air Tindi Beech 200 (C-FCGU/ DA502) from Yellowknife, NT (CYZF) to Lutselk'e, NT (CYLK) accepted 34 for departure with wind 280 10G15. DA502 was delayed 5 minutes total. ST25 was holding short 34 at all times and exited runway to retrieve portable radio.

February 1, 2017


After landing, the brakes of an Air Tindi Beech 200 (C-FCGU/ DA502) from Ekati, NT (CYOA) to Gameti/ Rae Lake, NT (CYRA) locked-up immobilizing them on runway for a couple of minutes. The crew managed to correct the issues and taxied off the runway shortly after.

August 31, 2015

Incident at YELLOWKNIFE NT (CYZF) (Incursion - runway - vehicle)

Update: Correction: Aircraft changed from a Cessna 208 to a Beech 200 (C-FCGU).
At 1155Z, ST25 (truck) was on Runway 10/28 with authorization. At 1158Z, ST25 requested to include Taxiway J in its work area and was instructed to proceed onto Taxiway J. At 1200Z, a Discovery Air International (DA502) Cessna 208, from Hay River (CYHY), NT, to Yellowknife (CYZF), NT, landed on Runway 10. At 1201Z, ST25 reported on the infield, requesting permission back onto Runway 10/28. At 1205Z, ST25 contacted the Flight Service Station (FSS) informing the specialist that it was on Runway 10/28 when DA502 was on short final, but it was outside of the Runway Protected Area (RPA) when DA502 landed. No other impact to the operation.

July 28, 2004


UPDATE Maintenance and Manufacturing reported that on descent into Yellowknife, the R/H engine of aircraft C-FCGU would not decrease in power below 1400 lbs. of torque. A precautionary shut down was carried out on the affected engine and the aircraft landed without incident. The Fuel Control Unit was confirmed to be the problem and was subsequently changed out and the aircraft was returned to service. The FCU was a high time unit and was coming due for its scheduled overhaul. There have been no further occurrences of this incident.
AT 502, a Beech King Air, arrived at Yellowknife on a flight from Kugluktuk with one engine shut down as precaution. ERS was on standby for the landing. The cause of the engine problem is not known.

March 16, 2003

Incident at YELLOWKNIFE NT (CYZF) (Conflict - potential, ATS operating irregularity)

UPDATE ANS and Airspace reported that Nav Canada completed a Level 2 Operational Safety Investigation.
UPDATE TSB reported that the Summit Air Charters Shorts Skyvan SC-7, C-GJGS, was cleared to land when on a five mile final approach for Runway 27 at Yellowknife. A taxiing Air Tindi BE20, Flight AT 502, registered C-FCGU, was cleared to position on Runway 27 at the same time to await takeoff clearance. The crew of AT 502 and C-GJGS, as well as the Tower Controller, noticed the potential conflict and took corrective action independently. AT 502 proceeded no further than the runway edge, and the Tower Controller instructed C-GJGS to conduct a missed approach which had already been initiated by the Skyvan crew when it was two miles from the runway. AT 502 subsequently departed and C-GJGS landed without further incident. The weather was clear with unlimited visibility at the time of the occurrence.
C-GJGS, a Shorts SC7, was inbound VFR to Yellowknife from Hilltop Camp and the crew reported 5 mile final to land on Runway 27. They were cleared to land by the Tower Controller. AT 502, a Beech King Air, was cleared to position on Runway 27 and the Controller believed that there was sufficient time for AT 502 to depart. C-GJGS then reported 2 mile final and the crew did a 360 degree turn for spacing because AT 502 was still on the runway. AT 502 then departed from Runway 27 and C-GJGS landed on Runway 27 without incident. An Operational Safety Investigation has been recommended.

November 22, 2001

Incident at YELLOWKNIFE NT (CYZF) (Conflict - potential, ATS operating irregularity)

FAB 8029, a HS 748, was inbound to Yellowknife on the 010 degree radial and C-FCGU, a Beech King Air, had just departed Yellowknife climbing out on the 355 degree radial. Separation was not guaranteed because the departure did not have a crossing restriction on it's climb out clearance. The two aircraft passed about 10 miles out from the Yellowknife VOR with no guarantee of vertical separation.
UPDATE TSB reported that the HS 748, FAB 8029, was inbound to Yellowknife on the 010 radial and cleared to 4,000 feet. The Beech 200, C-FCGU, had just departed Yellowknife climbing out on the 355 radial. The Controller did not issue a required crossing restriction to C-FCGU to be above 4,000 feet by 17 DME . The two aircraft passed each other about 10 miles out from the YZF VOR with no guarantee of vertical separation. ANS and Airspace reported that NAV CANADA will convene a Fact Finding Board.

July 13, 2001

Incident at EDMONTON CITY CENTRE / BLATCHFORD AB (CYXD) (Flight instrument failure, Electrical problem, Conflict - loss of separation, Alleged Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) infraction)

TSB reported that WJA 80 was operating a flight from Ft. McMurray to Edmonton and the B737-200 was climbing through 10,000 feet when the number one air data computer failed. This in turn caused the following systems to become inactive: Captain's altimeter, GPWS, Mach trim, Mode C transponder, and altitude alerter. ATC was advised of the situation and control was given to the First Officer, whose altimeter was functioning off the number two air data computer. On descent from 35,000 feet to 23,000 feet, WJA 80 was cleared for deviations west for thunderstorms. Outbound from the Edmonton City Centre airport was an Air Tindi Beech King Air 200 climbing to 22,000 feet direct to Yellowknife, NT. Without Mode C, the altitude read out for WJA 80 was not available for the controller's radar display. The Controller passed traffic to the King Air crew and shortly after, they reported the visual passage of WJA 80 to the Controller as being at their altitude, descending, and 2-3 NM off their right side. The WJA 80 flight crew descended through 22,000 feet before realizing that they had missed the level off at 23,000 feet. Required separation minima for this airspace was 1,000 feet vertically or 5 NM horizontally. Maintenance in Edmonton replaced the number one air data computer and the aircraft was returned to service.
C-FCGU, a Beech King Air, was on a flight from Edmonton City Centre Airport (YXD) to Yellowknife, ascending to FL 220. WJA 80 was on a flight from Fort McMurray J517 to Edmonton International Airport(YEG) with clearance to descend to FL 230. WJA 80's mode C altitude readout was not being received by the Controller. At 1553Z, it was reported that WJA 80 had descended below FL 230 without clearance and had passed below C-FCGU with approximately 2 NM lateral separation between the aircraft. In this airspace either 1,000 feet vertical or 5 NM lateral separation is required. It was later reported that the number 1 air data computer in the B737 had failed and the Captain's side flight instruments had failed as a result. TSB continues to follow up with the company.

May 15, 2001

Incident at YELLOWKNIFE NT (CYZF) (Aerodrome, runway or taxiway shutdown)

The crew of C-FCGU, a Beech King Air, was given taxi clearance to position on Runway 33 at Yellowknife. They were requested to stay on ground frequency for their IFR clearance. The crew taxied to position and ATC then tried repeatedly to contact them on both ground and air frequencies, without success. The Tower Controller then tried to alert the crew by turning the runway lights on and off, also without success. The Controller then tried to communicate with the a/c through the company frequency, but was unsuccessful. RED 8 was instructed to drive out to the a/c to investigate, but as the vehicle was enroute, the crew called Tower. Tower instructed the crew to vacate the runway, as two other a/c had been waiting 20 minutes to depart. The reason for the communication lapse is unknown.